Berlin Packaging acquires Diablo Valley Packaging
Rigid packaging supplier Berlin Packaging, Chicago, acquired Diablo Valley Packaging, Fairfield, Calif., marking this Berlin Packaging's second acquisition in three months (Berlin Packaging acquired Vivid Packaging Inc., Cleveland, Ohio, in September).
The addition of Diablo Valley Packaging's organization and $125 million annual sales significantly expands Berlin Packaging's market penetration in California and the Pacific Northwest, strengthens its glass packaging supply chain and enhances the company's ability to service customers in the food, beverage and wine and spirits markets.
This transaction is part of an initiative to double Berlin Packaging's revenues and earnings by 2017 through both organic growth and strategic acquisitions. All of Diablo Valley Packaging's managers and front-line personnel will remain with the company, creating an organization with more than 650 employees, $1 billion in annual sales, double-digit organic growth and deep expertise in rigid packaging.
Customers and suppliers will benefit from:
· Broader geographic coverage with more than 100 sales offices and warehouse locations, bringing Berlin Packaging's packaging consultants and inventory management acumen closer to more customers. Diablo Valley Packagingdoubles Berlin Packaging's footprint in California and strengthens its presence in 40 other states and provinces.
· Expanded product offerings by bringing together Diablo Valley Packaging's relationships with major glass manufacturers in North America and around the world with Berlin Packaging's 35,000 SKUs and supply chain focused on plastic, glass and metal containers, closures and dispensing systems.
· More profit-building services for Diablo Valley Packaging's customers, including structural and brand design, capital lending, quality consulting, warehousing and logistics.
· New growth opportunities for suppliers with a combined customer and prospective-customer database numbering more than 50,000 companies.
· Berlin Packaging maintains a strong operational backbone, including ISO 9001 certification and an Oracle system that together have produced a 137 consecutive months of 99+% on-time delivery for customers using its warehousing and inventory management programs.
"Diablo Valley Packaging and Berlin Packaging have both achieved double-digit growth over the last few years in an industry where low single-digit growth is the norm. As with our company, Diablo's strong performance is a testament to their creative solutions, strong supply chain and emphasis on exceptional customer service," says Andrew Berlin, chairman and CEO of Berlin Packaging. "By combining the strengths of both companies, this acquisition helps us meet our high growth goals and solidifies our position as the industry's largest, most comprehensive and most customer-focused rigid packaging supplier."
"Joining forces with Berlin Packaging aligns Diablo with a nimble innovator in the packaging space while also expanding opportunities for our employees, customers and suppliers," says Peter Reno, chief executive officer of Diablo Valley Packaging. "This is a case of getting bigger and better, accelerating our growth as well as Berlin's and building a stronger company that can serve the widest possible range of packaging needs."
"I've led Diablo for more than 20 years," adds Jeff Jones, Diablo Valley Packaging's majority owner. "To get to an even higher level of performance, I knew we needed to find a partner, and Berlin Packaging was clearly the best choice for us. I look forward to seeing the company evolve and reach greater heights in the future."