Media profile H.J. Heinz facility
- Heinz will dial up its products’ “economic credentials” (price value) and “nutrition credentials” to survive the nation’s economic downturn;
- Consumer insights now drive all Heinz innovation efforts according to Jim Matthews, vice president of innovation and quality;
- The center employs about 200 researchers who work on Heinz brands in frozen retail meals, foodservice, condiments and sauces, infant nutrition and subsidiary businesses such as Classico pasta sauces;
- Warrendale researchers test as many as 500 recipes each year including new formulations for Weight Watchers Smart Ones, T.G.I. Friday’s frozen meals and Ore-Ida frozen potato and french fry products;
- Among Heinz’s latest successful new products is Ore-Ida Steam n’ Mash, a four-item line of microwaveable frozen mashed potatoes.