Survey: Potatoes beat out pizza, mac & cheese as comfort food of choice
Over half (55%) of Americans chose potatoes are their comfort food of choice, beating out other favorites like pizza (21%), macaroni and cheese (15%) and pasta (9%).
A plate of potatoes ranked as the No. 1 comfort food in a new survey commissioned by The Little Potato Co., DeForest, Wis.
Here are some results from the study:
- Over half (55%) of Americans chose potatoes are their comfort food of choice, beating out other favorites like pizza (21%), macaroni and cheese (15%) and pasta (9%).
- America’s rankings on favorite ways to eat potatoes:
- Mashed potatoes (30%)
- French fries (23%)
- Baked potatoes (22%)
- 1 in 4 Millennials would give up cheeseburgers if it meant they had to choose between them or potatoes.
Potato habits 101
- Nearly half (49%) of Americans eat potatoes a few times a week.
- Dinner is the most popular meal for Americans to eat potatoes (67%). The least popular is brunch (4%).
- 40% of Americans prefer butter as the potato topping.
- 1/4 of Americans don’t know that potatoes are vegetables.
Team French fries vs team mashed potatoes
- Mashed potatoes are Americans’ favorite way to eat potatoes, but younger generations (Millennials/Gen Z) prefer their potatoes in the form of French fries (32%) while older generations opt for mashed potatoes (35%).
In a potato holidaze
- More people (75%) will eat potatoes during the holidays than any other time of the year.