Water Vapor Transmission Testing System for Packaging Applications
Minneapolis-based MOCON, Inc. unveiled what is said to be the first-ever, fully-automated water vapor transmission rate (WVTR) testing system for packaging and other barrier structures. The PERMATRAN-W Model 3/34 G allows operators to mount a test film, set the temperature/relative humidity conditions and begin the test to select and qualify optimum barrier materials.
The goal is to meet performance, shelf life and cost parameters for moisture-sensitive products. This is made possible by MOCON’s new TotalCal capability, which improves accuracy and eliminates significant set up time. The PERMATRAN-W Model 3/34 G is also ideal for converters and resin producers who want to test film materials as well as finished packages.
With TotalCal, four NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) calibration films are stored and a calibration curve is generated across the system’s entire range. Regardless of the test film’s transmission rate, TotalCal ensures an error-free and accurate result every time.
The PERMATRAN-W Model 3/34 G also includes MOCON’s TruSeal technology, which eliminates the entry of ambient air into the test cell, so that water vapor that enters the cell via transmission is measured.
Additional features include:
· Easy-to-use touch screen to enter testing parameters.
· Automatic maintenance of temperature, relative humidity, flow and pressure.
· Ability to run 10 sequential tests with one set up.
· GO button eliminates the need to enter the same conditions when repeating a test.
· Larger water reservoirs allow tests to be conducted overnight/weekends without an operator present.
· High purge mode reduces test package testing preparation time.