ALDI announces commitments to reducing plastic packaging
ALDI will also reduce packaging material across its entire range by at least 15%.
ALDI U.S., Batavia, Ill., announced a commitment to making 100% of its packaging, including plastic packaging, reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025. ALDI will also reduce packaging material across its entire range by at least 15%.
The company is committed to working with its supplier community to achieve the following comprehensive goals:
- By 2025, 100% of ALDI packaging, including plastic packaging, will consist of reusable, recyclable or compostable packaging;
- By 2025, packaging material of all ALDI-exclusive products to be reduced by at least 15%;
- By 2020, 100% of ALDI-exclusive consumable packaging to include How2Recycle label;
- By 2020, implement an initiative to make private label product packaging easier for customers to re-use;
- Guide continuous improvement of product packaging by internal expertise and external evaluations.
"ALDI has never offered single-use plastic shopping bags. And, while we're pleased that we've helped keep billions of plastic grocery bags out of landfills and oceans, we want to continue to do more," says Jason Hart, chief executive officer. "The commitments we're making to reduce plastic packaging waste are an investment in our collective future that we are proud to make."