An update from George's Inc. regarding COVID-19 staff initiatives:
George’s Inc., a fourth-generation, family-owned and operated chicken and protein producer founded a century ago, has updated its workplace safety measures to include the following:
• Team member screening, including temperature checks, prior to the beginning of each working shift to ensure that anyone who has a temperature or is symptomatic can choose to return home or seek medical assistance.
• Mandated the use of face coverings for all team members while at work.
• Installed partitions in the break rooms and created outdoor break spaces to allow more distance between employees (where facility footprint allows for it and proper safety precautions can be taken).
• Installed partitions and/or physical barriers between workstations in all areas where team members cannot reasonably social distance.
• Contingency plans in place to reduce potential production downtime.
• Modification of attendance policy for absences associated with COVID- 19.
• Taking an individualized approach at each George's location and establishing procedures and processes that are specific to local conditions and externally-reported cases; established a Crisis Response Team at each location.
• Established GMP monitors to conduct observations at handwashing stations to ensure proper handwashing procedures are followed, educate team members of proper handwashing, and preform periodic symptom and temperature checks throughout the facility.
• Initiated a rigorous investigation process to identify any team members who may have been in close contact with anyone who has tested positive for COVID19 and to instruct those team members to quarantine or follow CDC guidelines.
• Increased systems to ensure adequate and increased ventilation in our facilities to help minimize potential exposures.
To date, three plants have experienced at least one confirmed positive COVID-19 case among their teams. At each of the affected plants, George's immediately implemented COVID-19 response plan actions, making sure that all health, safety, and sanitation measures were implemented, including deep cleaning procedures and notification of any coworkers who had possible close contact with these individuals. The approach, and the practices adopted, follow the guidance issued by the CDC and utilize the hierarchy of controls.
The George’s Crisis Response Leadership Team is working proactively to stay up to date with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO), and local health department guidelines to make the best adjustments to business operations and policies as needed.
George's is closely overseeing all aspects of strategies, and collaborating with business partners across industries to prepare for all scenarios that may unfold.
George's will not compromise the safety, health, nor environmental values for profit or production. They are committed to continuous improvement and actively engaging all team members in their Journey to Safety Excellence.
About George’s Inc.
Founded in the 1920’s in Springdale Arkansas, George’s Inc. is a fourth generation, family owned and operated company. George’s is among the top 10 largest vertically integrated chicken producers in America, who have diversified its protein assortment beyond poultry. They employ a team of over 7,000 in eight production locations across four states (Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee and Virginia). George’s is innovation-driven and stays at the forefront of product trends by partnering with customers to create craveable insight-driven food.
Click here for more COVID-19 coverage and how it is affecting the refrigerated and frozen foods industry.