Increasing sales show this category is more than a trend.
Organic sales continue to grow 20 to 21 percent each year -- and hit $16.7 billion in retail consumer sales in 2006, says the Organic Trade Association (OTA), a membership-based business association that focuses on the organic business community in North America.
Organic food sales alone grew 20.9 percent in 2006 -- making organic one of the fastest subcategories in the food industry. Here, OTA presents the top five refrigerated and frozen organic food categories, ranked by consumer sales.
1. Dairy products, increased 25 percent from '05 to '06 to $2.668 billion
2. Frozen prepared foods, increased 25 percent to $756 million
3. Frozen and fresh baked breads and grains, increased 19 percent to $483 million
4. Meat products, increased 29 percent to $330 million
5. Frozen fruits and vegetables, increased 27 percent to $262 million
6. Refrigerated prepared foods, increased 6 percent to $15 million
Organic on the Rise
April 10, 2008