Top 25 Refrigerated Foods Processors: Refrigerated Foods Processors Rake in Sales
Refrigerated & Frozen Foods compiled a list of Top 25 refrigerated foods processors, broken down by category (prepared foods/entrées/side dishes, prepared meat and poultry, dairy, fruits/vegetables and new to the report, spreads). Processors are ranked by annual net sales and listings.
This report represents Refrigerated & Frozen Foods’ best efforts to reflect pertinent sales from all refrigerated channels. Sales figures and estimates are based on company reports, news releases, market analysts’ reports, industry media and more.
Figures exclude shelf-stable products, but may include non-refrigerated sectors, as some companies do separate refrigerated sales from frozen. Bag salad sales exclude raw produce. Prepared foods sales include prepared dishes and salads. Fruits and vegetables exclude juice.
Here’s a rundown of the comings and goings of some of the industry’s biggest players.
- Reser’s Fine Foods broke ground on a new 310,000-square-foot specialty food distribution facility in Hillsboro, Ore.
- WhiteWave Foods acquired Earthbound Farm and hired Kevin Yost as president, taking over for Charlie Sweat, who moved into an advisory role.
- In May 2014, OSI opened a 135,200-square-foot plant in Riverside, Calif. In June, it joined forces with Select Ready Foods to create a new joint venture company called OSI Select Ready Foods. And, in September, formed another joint venture with Pickstock Telford, Ltd. OSI also announced plans for a significant expansion at its Fort Atkinson, Wis., sausage and meatball production facility in 2015.
- In July 2014, Blount Fine Foods launched Blount Organics, a line of 16-ounce organic soups, and in October 2014, expanded its 10-ounce retail soups lineup.
- Also in July, Hormel Foods acquired CytoSport Holdings, Inc., maker of Muscle Milk products.
- In October 2014, Sabra Dipping Co. opened the doors to its newly expanded hummus production facility in Chesterfield, Va. Previously, it opened the Sabra Hummus House, the brand’s first pop-up dining experience located in Georgetown, Va.
- Garden Fresh Gourmet acquired a third high-pressure processing (HPP) machine.
- Sandridge Food launched Layered Selections, a new line of freshly prepared entrées and side dishes that feature a “new-to-market” layering concept.
- Nestlé USA celebrated its 75th anniversary of its Nestlé Toll House brand.
- In September 2014, Tyson Foods completed its merger with Hillshire Brands. In December, Tyson Foods re-opened its Storm Lake, Iowa, turkey processing plant that was damaged from a fire earlier this year. And, it was named Refrigerated & Frozen Foods’ 2014 Sustainable Supply Chain of the Year.
- New to the Fruits & Vegetables report, added Fresh Del Monte Produce.
|Prepared Entrees, Sides||Prepared Meat & Poultry|
|Fruits & Vegetables||Spreads & Dips|