Refrigerated & Frozen Foods compiled a list of Top 25 refrigerated foods processors, broken down by category (prepared foods/entrées/side dishes, prepared meat and poultry, dairy, fruits/vegetables and new to the report, spreads). Processors are ranked by annual net sales and listings. This report represents Refrigerated & Frozen Foods’ best efforts to reflect pertinent sales from all refrigerated channels. Sales figures and estimates are based on company reports, news releases, market analysts’ reports, industry media and more. Figures exclude shelf-stable products, but may include non-refrigerated sectors, as some companies do not separate refrigerated sales from frozen. Bag salad sales exclude raw produce. Prepared foods sales include prepared dishes and salads. Fruits and vegetables exclude juice.
Changes from last year’s report
- Added Sandridge Food Corp. to the dips and spreads report.
- Added ConAgra Foods to the sides/prepared foods report. As a result, Sandridge Food Corp. was omitted from this report.
- According a press release, Saputo’s net earnings totaled $148.6 million, a $7.1 million decrease.
Significant events in 2015
Here’s a rundown of the comings and goings of some of the industry’s biggest players.
- Brazil’s Cutrale and Safra Groups acquired Chiquita Brands International, Inc. in January 2015 via its affiliate, Cavendish Acquisition Corp.
- Also in January 2015, Tyson Foods announced plans to make major improvements to its Vienna, Ga., fresh tray pack poultry plant.
- In March 2015, Kraft Foods Group and H.J. Heinz merged to create The Kraft Heinz Co.
- In April 2015, Schreiber Foods expanded its European presence with the acquisition of three production plants—Noblejas and Talavera de la Reina, Spain, and Zvolen, Slovakia—from French dairy firm Senoble International.
- In May 2015, Hormel Foods acquired Applegate Farms, LLC, the Bridgewater, N.J.-based owner of the Applegate brand and producer of natural and organic value-added prepared meats.
- In June 2015, Campbell Soup Co. purchased Garden Fresh Gourmet.
- In August 2015, JBS USA Pork acquired Cargill’s U.S.-based pork business.
Significant events still to come in 2016
- General Mills announced plans to invest $250 million to increase capacity at its Murfreesboro, Tenn., yogurt and refrigerated baked goods facility.
- Nestlé USA celebrates its 150th anniversary this year.
- Cargill Meat Solutions will introduce a new line of cooked meats capabilities at its Nebraska plant.
- OSI Group will complete the expansion of its Fort Atkinson, Wis., plant.
- ConAgra Foods announced plans to relocate its headquarters from Omaha, Neb., to Chicago.
|Prepared Entrees & Sides||Prepared Meat & Poultry|
|Dairy||Fruits & Vegetables|
|Dips & Spreads|