Scanbuy, Inc., a New York-based provider of advanced QR code mobile technology services that include SmartLabel capabilities, and Kezzler, a Boston-based business services company for product serialization, tracking and tracing announced a strategic partnership that will bring Internet of Packaging (IoP) to SmartLabel.
The breakthrough technology uses SmartLabel QR codes to provide product traceability, supply chain optimization and robust marketing insights. IoP enables product serialization on a mass scale, giving every product a unique identity in the connected world.
"As SmartLabel QR code package activation expands across product portfolios, it is important that we help clients future-proof their investment in SmartLabel, by solving product traceability and visibility using the exact same barcode,” says Maryann Moschides, chief marketing officer at Scanbuy. “No longer will a product require a consumer-facing barcode and an internal facing barcode. By partnering with Kezzler, we will be able to deliver a best-in-class solution that delivers transparency to consumers and enhances traceability for companies.”
Working together, a Scanbuy QR code placed on a product package dynamically links the consumer to the respective SmartLabel landing page via a simple scan. When the same QR code is scanned for a business operation, companies gain full distribution visibility and insights to all stages of the product lifecycle through the Kezzler platform—leading to better production and logistics.
“Serializing or digitalizing products is currently being implemented in a number of regulated industries to protect and inform consumers, and we see a significant uptake across consumer products, bringing opportunities for brand owners, retailers and consumers,” says Thomas Körmendi, chief executive officer of Kezzler. “Activating SmartLabel on packages is a step toward providing richer information in the digital world and building trust through greater visibility. By partnering with Scanbuy on the SmartLabel initiative, we have the potential to create a multi-purpose role for every manufactured item and our collaboration makes this evolution seamless.”
Highlights of IoP by Scanbuy and Kezzler:
- Consumer transparency. The QR code scanned by a consumer instantaneously links to the SmartLabel landing page. No special scanning app required.
- Supply chain traceability. The QR code reveals information about the production batch. For instance, if chocolate contains cacao, it would be traceable to each individual farm.
- Recall management. The QR code would identify affected products, narrowing down the products to be recalled.
- Distribution visibility. The QR code tracks the time from production to consumer scans, providing the ability to follow a product’s journey through the distribution channel.
- Product shelf-life management. The QR code explains expiration dates and is used to track each individual item in distribution. Viewing these expiration dates provides insights for preventing food waste throughout the entire supply chain.
- Counterfeiting and authentication. The QR code ensures that a product without a cryptographic secure identity is not an authentic product.
- A joint IoP approach digitizes the entire product lifecycle, by integrating Scanbuy’s SmartLabel package activation technology with Kezzler’s traceability platform.