SmartDrive Systems, San Diego, Calif., introduced SmartDrive SmartSense, a new line of intelligent driver-assist sensors designed to identify the most dangerous driving risks and intervene with drivers before a catastrophic event occurs.
By combining purpose-built sensors with engine computer data, telematics, accelerometer and SmartDrive analytic data, these “smart sensors” deliver new levels of accurate risk identification.
The SmartSense for Distracted Driving uses advanced computer vision-based algorithms paired with the SmartDrive video analytics platform to address the epidemic of distracted and inattentive driving. When combined with the SmartDrive program and its extended recording capability, SmartSense offers fleets the most complete picture of what led to driver distraction, how it manifested and what the outcome was, providing detailed feedback and actionable coaching to improve driver safety. Instead of relying exclusively on vehicle maneuvers, such as hard braking, aggressive swerving or lane departure, the SmartSensor interprets driver cues proven to accurately indicate distraction, such as head and eye movements. When the sensor detects distraction, inattention or drowsiness, it triggers a video, which is prioritized and offloaded for immediate verification and intervention.
SmartSense for Distracted Driving operates with the SmartDrive video analytics platform, and includes:
- Distraction and inattention triggers that detect when eyes are off the road for a defined time period or a driver has exceeded a specific number of distracted incidents.
- Purpose-built hardware with infrared sensors to capture distraction even when sunglasses are worn.
- In-cab alerts when distraction or inattention occurs.
- Prioritized review and risk scoring for video of distraction events.
- Integration with the SmartDrive video safety program.
SmartDrive Systems, Inc.