Colmac Coil Manufacturing, Colville, Mass., introduced a new Shell and Helix heat exchanger intended for use in ammonia/CO2 cascade refrigeration systems.
The new heat exchanger design offers the following advantages and benefits:
- All stainless-steel construction for corrosion resistance and long life.
- Compact—large heat transfer surface in small volume.
- High tubeside (CO2) pressure capability, as high as 1,700 psig.
- Multiple helix design permits expansion and contraction of tubes during large changes in temperature and pressure with very low resulting strain and stress, thus reducing the risk of failure and leaks.
- Nesting of the multiple helically formed tubes in both radial and axial directions results in equal spacing of the tubing and uniform flow distribution on the shell side.
- Multiple shell side connections reverse the flow of the ammonia and CO2, and permits reverse cycle hot gas defrosting.
- U.S. and international patent-pending.
Colmac Coil Manufacturing, Inc.