Conagra Brands to acquire Pinnacle Foods
The transaction will enhance Conagra Brands' multi-year transformation plan and expand its presence and capabilities in frozen foods and snacks.
Conagra Brands, Inc., Chicago, announced plans to acquire Pinnacle Foods Inc., Parsippany, N.J., for approximately $10.9 billion.
The transaction will enhance Conagra Brands' multi-year transformation plan and expand its presence and capabilities in frozen foods and snacks. Pinnacle Foods' portfolio of refrigerated, frozen and shelf-stable products includes brands such as Birds Eye, Duncan Hines, Earth Balance, EVOL, Erin's, Gardein, Glutino, Hawaiian Kettle Style Potato Chips, Hungry-Man, Log Cabin, Tim's Cascade Snacks, Udi's, Vlasic and Wish-Bone, among others.
"The acquisition of Pinnacle Foods is an exciting next step for Conagra Brands. After three years of transformative work to create a pure-play, branded food company, we are well-positioned to accelerate the next wave of change," says Sean Connolly, president and CEO of Conagra Brands. "The addition of Pinnacle Foods' leading brands in the attractive frozen foods and snacks categories will create a tremendous opportunity for us to further leverage our proven innovation approach, brand-building capabilities and deep customer relationships. With greater scale across leading, iconic brands, an unwavering focus on driving profitable growth and a strong balance sheet and cash flow, we are creating a tremendous platform to drive meaningful shareholder value."
"Today's transaction provides Pinnacle Foods’ shareholders with substantial and immediate value, as well as the opportunity to participate in the significant upside potential of the combined company," says Mark Clouse, chief executive officer of Pinnacle Foods. "Because of our employees' incredible work, Pinnacle's total shareholder return is approximately 275% since our IPO, and today marks an important milestone in the company's journey. The portfolios and capabilities of both enterprises are impressive and complementary. We look forward to working through a seamless transition with the Conagra Brands team."
Strategic and financial benefits include:
- Complementary portfolio of iconic brands. The combined company will have a portfolio of leading, iconic brands within attractive domains such as refrigerated and frozen meals and snacks and sweet treats.
- Enhanced ability to capitalize on frozen foods trends. The combination will bring together complementary portfolios in the large, growing and on-trend frozen foods category, positioning the combined company to accelerate innovation and benefit from long-term tailwinds.
- Compelling growth profile. Conagra Brands and Pinnacle Foods are two of the fastest-growing companies in the consumer packaged foods industry by consumption, and Conagra Brands expects continued momentum based on the enhanced scale and new opportunities to partner with customers that the transaction will provide.
- Significant synergy opportunities. Conagra Brands expects to achieve approximately $215 million in annual run-rate cost synergies by the end of fiscal year 2022, with one-time cash costs to achieve the synergies estimated at approximately $355 million, inclusive of expected capital expenditures of approximately $150 million.
- Proven integration capabilities. In recent years, Conagra Brands has established a proven track record of executing strategic transactions. The two organizations share complementary portfolios, supply chains and results-oriented cultures, which are expected to facilitate integration.