Grubhub launches "Year in Food" report highlighting top trends In 2019
One thing is clear—plant-based foods are here to stay, with a majority of 2019's top foods comprising of vegetarian- or vegan-friendly options.
Grubhub, Chicago, released findings from its annual "Year in Food" report. To find out what food trends shaped the year (or didn't), Grubhub analyzed tens of millions of orders placed by more than 21 million diners on its platform to uncover the flavors and tastes rising up the ranks among today's diners.
Key takeaways from the report include:
Top orders of the year
One thing is clear—plant-based foods are here to stay, with a majority of 2019's top foods comprising of vegetarian- or vegan-friendly options. Cauliflower pizza claimed the top spot, rising 650% in popularity throughout the year.
- Cauliflower pizza 650%
- Spicy brussels sprouts 622%
- Portobello empanada 601%
- Black bean and sweet potato taco 513%
- Miso pork ramen 413%
- Chicken burger 318%
- Bone broth 298%
- Brown sugar milk [bubble] tea 281%
- Vegan pad thai 280%
- Impossible burger 203%
For breakfast, bacon, egg and cheese is a staple combo that rose to the No. 1 spot from last year.
- Bacon, egg and cheese biscuit 442% more popular
- Mixed berry acai bowl 209% more popular
- Chicken and waffles 167% more popular
- Strawberry banana French toast 155% more popular
- Dutch pancake 149% more popular
For desserts, a balanced mix of fan favorites, a few classics with a trendy spin and a vegan dessert make up the Top 5.
- Butter cake 641% more popular
- Chocolate shake 530% more popular
- Fruit crepe 223% more popular
- Caramel churro 206% more popular
- Vegan carrot cake 144% more popular
For late-night, carbs come in handy with yet another appearance from the vegan family.
- Buffalo chicken empanada 277% more popular
- Brisket quesadilla 200% more popular
- Truffle parmesan fries 157% more popular
- Garlic and parmesan breadsticks 132% more popular
- Vegan burger 128% more popular
The rise of plant-based options
Vegan and vegetarian trends are still growing, with vegan orders rising 27% in popularity overall in 2019 as compared to 2018. Specifically, the Impossible Burger saw a more than 200% rise in popularity this year.
- Impossible burger
- Black bean burger
- Mushroom burger
Most vegan-friendly states (in ranking order):
- New York
Least vegan-friendly states (in ranking order):
- North Carolina
The state you should visit if you relate to the following:
- The Night Owl (rise of late night orders): Washington DC
- The Health Nut (rise of healthy foods): California
- The Most Energized (rise of caffeinated drinks): Oregon
- The Sweetest State (rise of desserts): Texas
The trends of years’ past
Trends on the rise—it's all about detox and milk alternatives this year.
- Celery juice
- Oat milk
- Street corn
Not rising the ranks in popularity, but remain a trusty go-to dish among diners are:
- Avocado toast
Trends on the decline are:
- Coconut water