Primus Completes Greenfield Freezer Warehouse for U.S. Cold Storage
Primus Builders, Woodstock, Ga., wrapped up design-build services for U.S. Cold Storage’s newest freezer warehouse located in Quakertown, Pa. This 245,000-square-foot Greenfield facility is one of eight projects Primus is currently providing services on or has completed for U.S. Cold Storage, based in Voorhees, N.J.
Key features of the facility include:
• Convertible freezers that provide temperature zones ranging from 0°F to -36°F
• 28 dock positions
• State-of-the-art, energy efficient CO2/NH3 cascade refrigeration system
• LED lighting with an integrated control system
• Set up for future rail access
• 2-story office for on-site regional human resources team
• 2-story employee welfare area
• Dock area that allows trucks to open their doors into the building
• Self-polishing, shrink-compensated flooring
This project represents Primus’ commitment to improving its design-build approach by integrating state-of-the-art technology.
Building Information Modeling (BIM) was incorporated at project kick off and was utilized through construction to improve coordination and maintain the project schedule. Implementing BIM allowed the team to identify potential clashes during design and offer solutions before construction began. BIM also served as an excellent document management tool to reduce the number of printed drawings and improve the review process.
USCS Quakertown sits on a 40.1-acre parcel that spans 6.5 million cubic feet, can store product from -20°F to +40°F and offers 29,000 pallet positions, 27 refrigerated dock doors and state-of-the-art CO² refrigeration.
Phase One building features four rooms—most of which will be dedicated to refrigerated storage. As such, USCS plans not to erect a wall between the refrigerated, enclosed truck dock and storage area. This increases operating efficiencies by making it easier and faster to retrieve product and provide greater visibility within the facility as a whole.