Survey finds 87% of respondents would give up coffee, chocolate or alcohol before cheese
In fact, 60% of respondents could name more than five cheese varieties if asked.
Boar’s Head Provision Co., Sarasota, Fla., set out to learn more about America's love for cheese by commissioning a nationwide research study.
The survey polled 1,001 adults from around the United States, aged 18 and older, to gauge overall preferences and feelings toward cheese. The survey revealed that America's love for cheese is so deep, that 87% of respondents would give up coffee, chocolate or alcohol before giving up cheese. In fact, 60% of respondents could name more than five cheese varieties if asked.
Some other noteworthy findings from the study include:
- If they could, nine out of 10 respondents would eat multiple servings of cheese every day.
- When asked about favorite foods, almost half of respondents (46%) rank cheese as their first or second favorite, among a selection of food group options, with those aged 25-34 being most likely to rank cheese first (27%).
- American cheese is the top choice for sandwiches (68%), with Cheddar topping the list for salads at 59%.
- 50% of Americans prefer grilled cheese with a blend of two or more cheeses.
- When asked if cheese were banned where they live, two-thirds of respondents (66%) would either definitely move, strongly consider it, or possibly move.
"Cheese is an iconic food not just in America, but [also] around the globe," says Carlos Giraldo, senior vice president of marketing and innovation. "We wanted to help showcase just how much people here in America love their cheese. At Boar's Head, we are committed to providing the highest quality delicatessen products, nothing less. From premium, age-imported specialties to America's favorites like American and Cheddar, Boar's Head has an assortment of over 50 delectable varieties to please even the most discerning palates."