JBS USA highlights 2018 sustainability accomplishments, outlines 2020 goals
The report represents the most comprehensive and transparent view to date of the company’s sustainability progress in operations worldwide.
JBS USA, Greeley, Colo., released its 2018 Sustainability Report and outlined progress toward its 2020 sustainability targets. The report is the company’s first interactive, digital report, and represents the most comprehensive and transparent view to date of the global company’s sustainability progress in its operations in Australia, Canada, England, France, Mexico, the Netherlands, Northern Ireland, New Zealand and the United States.
“At our core, we are a food company with a passion to be a part of the family meal, providing sustainable food solutions to our customers and consumers that they can proudly share and serve,” says Andre Nogueira, president and CEO. “The JBS USA 2018 Sustainability Report details our economic, social and environmental progress and the important role our more than 100,000 team members play in improving the quality of life for millions of families around the world through delicious food.”
Achievements in 2018 included:
- Team members. Provided more than 115,000 training hours through the People First Program, a training program for front-line supervisors.
- Environment. Achieved a 4% reduction in electricity use intensity and a 3% reduction in greenhouse gas emission intensity from 2017-2018.
- Animal care. All production facilities participated in third-party animal handling audits, and a 95-100% score was achieved on external animal welfare audits.
- Suppliers. Partnered with more than 25,600 livestock and poultry family farmers and ranchers, providing payments of more than $18 billion in 2017-2018.
- Investment. Approved more than $451 million for investments in sustainability-related projects.
JBS USA also made significant progress toward 2020 sustainability goals in many areas. For example, JBS experienced a:
- 16% reduction in severe incidents year over year, compared to the goal of 10%.
- 10.9% reduction in electricity use intensity, compared to the goal of 12%.
- 17.7% reduction in greenhouse gas emission intensity, compared to the goal of 20%.
- 11.9% reduction in natural gas use intensity, compared to the goal of 20%.
JBS USA is also on track to achieve a 90% or better score on the JBS USA Animal Health and Welfare Scorecard and on track to achieve 100% vendor compliance with its Supplier Code of Business Ethics and Conduct.
“We continued to make great strides in 2018 to unlock the full potential of our company, recording our second best ever financial results, reducing both financial debt and leverage, investing in our facilities and team members at record levels, enhancing governance and compliance, improving worker safety and reducing our environmental footprint,” Nogueira says. “Our progress is evident, but we are committed to partnering with our team members and stakeholders to accelerate our progress and responsibly meet the challenges of the future to benefit the next generation.”