Kraft Foods Inc., Northfield, Ill., said it will introduce more than 20 new foods and beverages in the first few months of the new year "that boast trendy, restaurant-inspired flavors."
And just in time for January's diet season, officials said they also will add several new portion-controlled options to its portfolio.
"We are focused on the consumer from the moment we first dream up a new product to the time it hits store shelves," explains John Li, director, Culinary Center, Kraft Foods. "We start with a deep dive into consumers' eating habits and flavor preferences. It's part art and part science, but ultimately, our goal is to create the best and most flavorful products possible."
For 2010, Kraft Foods said took a cue from the top ten flavors consumers would like to see more often on restaurant menus.
"Many of our new items reflect consumers' interests in bold flavors, especially those that are Italian-inspired or have a Mexican flair," said Li. "Hot and spicy is big so chipotle and garlic are key flavor notes while berry-infused items remain on-trend. The increasing desire for bolder flavors is not limited to a single age group. Everyone is asking for more adventurous taste experiences."
New flavorful products include:
- Planters Flavor Grove Nuts with varieties such as Sea Salt & Olive Oil, Cracked Pepper with Onion & Garlic, and Chili Lime
- Kraft Sandwich Shop Mayo with Chipotle, Garlic & Herb, and Horseradish-Dijon varieties
- Kraft Deli Deluxe cheese slices with 3 Cheese Garlic & Herb, Bacon Cheddar, and Jalapeno American varieties
- Oscar Mayer Super Thick Cut Applewood Smoked Bacon
New healthy offerings include:
- Planters Antioxidant Mix with almonds, bananas, peaches, blueberries, cranberries and cashews, and Omega-3 Mix with walnuts, cranberries and dark chocolate-covered soy nuts
- Back to Nature granola cookies with whole grain wheat flour and semisweet chocolate with cocoa from Rainforest Alliance Certified(TM) farms; and a Dark Chocolate and Oats variety
- Jell-O Mousse Temptations with Dark Chocolate, Chocolate and Caramel Creme varieties at just 60 calories per serving
- Kraft 100 Calorie Cheese Bites (single serve) in four varieties
Said Li, "We also are building on our health and wellness commitments and evolving to meet today's consumer expectations in this area. When it comes to portion control, we know consumers want indulgence without overindulging! Gone are the days of thinking you can't have your cake and eat it too."
Kraft talks new products, bold flavors
January 1, 2010