2016 State of the Industry: Thaw-and-serve is key to growing retail baked goods sector
Thaw-and-serve, bake-off and portability directly influence the growth of frozen bakery products.
Thaw-and-serve, bake-off and portability directly influence the growth of frozen bakery products, according to a study conducted by Markets and Markets, New York. In fact, frozen bakery products help in-store bakeries, coffee chains, gas stations and quick-service restaurants offer fast and convenient products with prolonged shelf life despite seasonal variations.
However, manufacturers of frozen bakery products face intense competition from inter- and intra-industry peers in sourcing raw material.
According to the Markets and Markets’ report, “Frozen Bakery Market by Types (Frozen Breads, Frozen Pizza Crust, Frozen Pastries, Frozen Cakes, Other Frozen Bakery Products), Distribution Channels (Artisan Bakers, Retail, Catering & Industrial, Others Distribution Channel) & Geography - Global Trends & Forecasts to 2018,” here’s a breakdown of some frozen bakery trends:
- Supermarkets and hypermarkets comprise of a greater percentage than artisan bakers.
- In recent years, the growth of coffee shop chains selling frozen bakery products increased the competition for other bakery outlets.
- There is an increasing trend toward specialty and continental frozen bakery products.
- There is a significant increase in the number of outlets with in-store bakeries and a greater demand for frozen bakery snacks such as rolls, teacakes, scones and so on.
- Supermarkets have been successful in capturing a significant share of the frozen bakery market by selling different products made by chief plant bakeries at low prices. They have also introduced in-store bakeries producing specialty baked products.
- Frozen bakery products have grown in popularity due to their ease of preparation and the time and cost savings they provide to other institutional outlets.
- Frozen pizza crust dominates the market followed by frozen breads.
To learn more about these and other new retail products, go here.