Tastewise, Israel, released its 2019 Food for Function report to help brands anticipate fast-changing culinary trends and preferences.
Highlights of the report include:
● 37% of consumers are using food as a functional tool to reach their goals; antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, weight loss, energy boost or gut health goals are particularly important for consumers.
● Provolone cheese and maple syrup are this year’s new weight-loss contenders.
● Pea protein is seeing growing popularity in the pursuit of wellness.
● Consumers are using fermented milk drink kefir and powdered Peruvian root maca for their natural antidepressant properties.
● CBD is seeing a significant rise in consumption for improved gut health (+286%), sleep (+201%), energy (+70%) and to improve the immune system (+138%).
● Consumers are drawn toward ingredients that support positive gut health—watermelon, peppermint to soothe digestive discomfort and leafy greens for fiber to support a healthy digestive process
“In order to remain innovative and stay ahead of the curve, it’s imperative that food brands understand why certain ingredients are trending by learning the deep, real motivations and functions consumers are compelled by,” says Alon Chen, co-founder. “Our platform and AI were designed specifically for food and beverage analyses, and unveil rising human needs to predict the next big trend ahead of time.”