US Foods’ Fall Scoop focuses on Latin American, Asian, Middle Eastern influences
US Foods Holding Corp., Rosemont, Ill., launched its Fall Scoop 2019, which focuses on “Global Discovery Made Easy” and showcases products with Latin American, Asian and Middle Eastern influences.
“Today’s diners are more adventurous, and they expect diverse, authentic food experiences,” says Stacey Kinkaid, vice president, product development and innovation. “Chef Dávila, Chef Dang and Chef Wadi shared incredibly helpful insights and feedback on Scoop products with Latin American, Middle Eastern and Asian influences, such as al pastor, beef shawarma and bulgogi beef. By focusing our efforts on items our operators would normally not have the time, resources or experience to create on their own, we have delivered turnkey solutions they can add to their menus with confidence.”
Spicing up the menu with Latin American flavors
US Foods partnered with chef Diana Dávila to bring the flavors of Latin America to Fall Scoop.
“Creating al pastor with US Foods was an exciting challenge because it’s typically a street food in Mexico that takes time and special equipment to prepare,” says Dávila. “In staying true to the authentic dish, the Chef’s Line All Natural Al Pastor was cooked on a spit, so the meat comes in shaved slices with charring. It’s a savory and delicious product that is already seasoned so it can quickly be prepared and added to any meal.”
- Chef’s Line All Natural Al Pastor. This all-natural whole muscle, boneless pork shoulder is hand-stacked on a vertical spit, fire-seared and sliced from the cone and seasoned with a Mexican-inspired blend, including annatto, onion powder, garlic powder, lime juice and apple cider vinegar.
- Monarch Fire Roasted Corn and Poblano Peppers Blend with Onions. Fire-roasted with char marks, this versatile dish is a blend of sweet corn, poblano peppers and yellow onions, and contains no oil or added seasonings.
- del Pasado Mini Chile Rellenos. Inspired by the Mexican entrée, this product features diced, roasted poblano peppers blended with mozzarella and Cotija cheeses, is battered with corn masa and is easily paired with a variety of dipping sauces.
Helping authentic Asian cuisine go mainstream
US Foods partnered with chef Thai Dang to advise on products with multiple culinary influences from Asia, including Korean, Vietnamese and Taiwanese.
“I was excited to share my creativity with US Foods and adapt some of my favorite Asian flavors into the new Fall Scoop products,” says Dang. “The Chef’s Line All Natural Bulgogi Beef stands out for me because it can be served in so many ways, like in a stir fry, lettuce wrap or even as a bulgogi poutine. Operators can put their own spin on a product like this and turn it into a dish they know their diners will love.”
- Patuxent Farms Red Curry Seasoned Popcorn Chicken. This whole muscle white meat chicken is fully cooked and lightly seasoned with Thai-style red curry. In fact, the use of red curry instead of the traditional yellow curry was a result of Dang’s culinary influence. This popcorn chicken is a versatile and time-saving product with an on-trend flavor profile influenced by the Taiwanese street food.
- Chef’s Line All Natural Bulgogi Beef. This Korean cuisine is made from a whole muscle USDA Choice Beef and marinated in a Korean-style sauce that includes soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and onions.
- Pacific Jade Korean BBQ Style Spring Roll. This dish helps restaurant operators bring global flavor in a handheld format and includes flavors reminiscent of traditional Korean BBQ, including tender beef, vermicelli, gochujang, pear purée and mirin.
Bringing layers of Middle Eastern flavors
US Foods partnered with chef Sameh Wadi to bring Middle Eastern products that remain true to their authentic flavors.
“I think the reason so many people love Middle Eastern food is because it’s often made with darker spices and ingredients that have layers of flavor, and shawarma is a great example of that,” says Wadi. “I’m really proud of how well the Chef’s Line All Natural Beef Shawarma can translate for operators’ menus. We tried a few versions to get the seasoning just right, and through different tastings and iterations, we created a delicious blend of spices that takes the product to the next level.”
- Chef’s Line All Natural Beef Shawarma. This all-natural product is produced in an authentic process—marinated, hand-stacked and carved from cone and seasoned with authentic Middle Eastern-style spices, then flame-seared.
- Devonshire Premium Cheesecake Topped with Honey and Almonds. This decadent cheesecake offers Middle Eastern flavors and is made with mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, real honey and a cardamom-spiced graham cracker crust.
Southern hospitality made easy
Fall Scoop was also enhanced with items featuring a Southern U.S. flair, which were created in collaboration with US Foods’ Southern region chefs. These foods include the Devonshire Croissant Beignet, a twist on the classic beignet made with croissant dough—and del Pasado Chile con Queso Dip, which features a cheddar cheese base and blend of peppers.