From playful flavors to alcohol-infused varieties to handheld options, today’s frozen desserts, novelties and pies bring a lot to the party.
Here is a rundown of some trends impacting this category:
- Restaurants are catering to consumers’ on-the-go lifestyles by putting their own touches on portable frozen treats.
- Handhelds and single-serve offerings open up the market to those consumers who turn to cold desserts as a snack.
- Hybrid desserts, or a fusion of two in one, continue to evoke innovation and bold flavors.
- Childhood favorites bring warm fuzzies to the freezer aisles.
- Novel ingredients and ethnic flare impart new ways for consumers, especially Millennials, to indulge.
- Speaking of indulging, studies show that all-natural, better-for-you ingredients need not apply to this category because when consumers want to indulge, they want to indulge right.
- A steady rise in pie sales at independent bakeshops and prepared food operations in supermarkets demonstrates that home-style, if not homemade, pies are trending up.
- Apple pie takes the cake, according to a consumer survey by Nielsen LLC, New York, and commissioned by the American Pie Council, Lake Forest, Ill. Chocolate pie ties with pumpkin in the No. 2 spot, while cherry places third.
- At restaurants, apple pie continues to dominate as one of guests’ most preferred desserts, according to “Dessert Consumer Trend Report,“ published by Chicago-based Technomic Inc.
- Fresh fruit-filled pies and desserts continue to garner larger slice of the market.
Click here to view market trends reports for this category.
to learn more about these and other new retail products, go here.
Report Abusive Comment