Looking for that next dessert product development idea?The Food Channel, Chicago, has identified what it believes are the most significant food trends in dessert for 2011 -- from the evolution of the ever popular cupcake to the new raw food movement.
Food Channel officials say they partnered withCultureWaves, theInternational Food FuturistsandMintel Internationalto present the top 10 dessert trends for 2011.
“When we took a look at how people are consuming dessert, one thing became clear: our tastes are evolving and becoming more educated ,” said Kay Logsdon, editor of The Food Channel. “We see society trending toward a more casual-and less stuffy-lifestyle. One on hand, we demand less processed foods and cleaner labels, but we still allow ourselves to indulge in sweet little rewards that get us through the day.”
The Food Channel's Top 10 Dessert Trends in 2011
1)Ta-da!! The Next Cupcake Is...-the cupcake movement is more around its evolution than its dissolution
2) Sweet, Heat, Salty and Tart-desserts don’t always have to be sugary sweet
3) Wedding Cake Off the Guest List-an overall trend toward a more casual, and less stuffy, lifestyle
4) Behold the Power of Protein-people are looking for more than a sugar buzz from desserts today
5) Desserts for Grownups-the maturing of America’s sweet tooth
6) Whole Grains and No Grains-a food trend that’s all about health
7) Desserts in the Raw-the demand for foods, desserts included, that are far less processed
8) A Touch of Sweetness All Day Long-sweet little rewards that help get us through the day
9) A Hint of Floral-subtle hints of floral have begun to sprout up in the dessert category
10) Dessert Theatrics-enjoying a little tableside theater when we’re enjoying a nice restaurant dinner
(Bonus) The End of Shareable-going in with the same spoon for bite after bite has gotten old