National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association offers the scoop on ice cream trends
The most popular ice cream flavors are Vanilla, Chocolate, Cookies 'n Cream, Mint Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.
Americans really love ice cream. On average, they enjoy 48 pints of ice cream per person, per year, according to The National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association (NFRA), Harrisburg, Pa. And, 98% of all U.S. households purchase ice cream, with more sold on Sunday than any other day of the week, while 87% have ice cream in their freezer at any given time.
The latest scoop on ice cream and novelties include:
- It takes 3 gallons of whole milk to make 1 gallon of ice cream; a cow gives enough milk to make 2 gallons of ice cream per day (or 730 gallons per year).
- The most popular ice cream flavors are Vanilla, Chocolate, Cookies 'n Cream, Mint Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough; Pecan is the most popular nut flavoring and Strawberry is the most popular fruit in ice cream. The favorite ice cream topping is chocolate syrup.
- It takes about 50 licks to finish a single scoop ice cream cone; one in 10 people admit to licking the bowl clean after eating ice cream, and one in five admit to sharing with their pet.
- Cherry is the No. 1 Popsicle flavor.
- Ice cream sandwich rank as the best-selling ice cream novelty in America.